Wednesday, September 22, 2010

WebLog2

My service learning project this semester will take place at St. Thomas Aquinas Elementary School in Cleveland. I will be tutoring children from Kindergarten to Eighth Grade. In addition, I will also be participating in recreational activities with the children. I am assuming that I will be playing games with the kids that will help stimulate their brains, but also allow them to enjoy their time with me as well.

I believe this qualifies as a site because the children at this school are below the poverty level. These kids do not own much, and probably do not have a stable family life at home. By tutoring and engaging in activities with these children, it will provide me with an opportunity to be in a diverse community.

A question that I have about this site is "Although the children do not have much, are they still willing to learn?" I would like to see if they are motivated to learn, or if they seem to only be in school because they are supposed to be there. Also, I question, "Is this site similar to the examples I have read about in class?" I would like to know if they show the drop out rates, the inteligence level, and the children's ability to read.

No comments:

Post a Comment